US Sailing is a wonderful organization that is passionate about getting people on the water and wind in their sails - the very same passion that inspired the Summer Sailstice. Although sailing can seem intimidating, it really is a sport for all to enjoy which is why we are so thrilled to see that US Sailing is hosting an Adaptive Sailing Instructor Workshop that covers all aspects of creating and managing an adaptive sailing program. The topics include facility requirements, disability types/populations, breaking down barriers to participation, safety requirements, volunteer/staff training, and a detailed overview of how to correctly adapt your equipment (or what equipment is available to purchase). A heavily interactive course, attendees will go through a variety of exercises to help them better understand what’s required to teach sailors with disabilities including; physical, intellectual, vision impairments, autism, etc.
Are you interested in coaching the next generation of parasailors? Register for a US Sailing Adaptive Sailing Instructor Workshop:
- The WaterFront Center, Oyster Bay, NY, May 13-15, 2022
- Niantic Bay Yacht Club and Sailing Academy, Niantic, CT, May 20-22, 2022
- Pleasant Bay Community Boating, North Chatham, MA, June 6-8, 2022
- Longshore Sailing School, Westport, CT, June 11-13, 2022
- *South Beach Yacht Club, San Francisco, CA (Registration not available for this course, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't see a workshop in your area? Host a workshop! Contact US Sailing for more information.
It's not too late to host your own adaptive sailing event on June 18th! Check out our current events or create your own here.